Friday 28 August 2009

Farewell to Camelot...

I've just heard about the sad, sad news of Ted Kennedy's death. What a shame; such a great man who did so much to help the less fortunate. With his death, the end of Camelot seems even more final. Ted and his brothers could have changed the world for the better, had they not been so cruely (and very likely deliberately) obstructed in their quest. I'm sure there will be many people mourning his loss, and my heart goes out to them.

R.I.P. Edward Moore Kennedy
1932-2009


As much as I admire him, I know there are some people who not only disliked Ted Kennedy, but actively hated him. British newspaper The Daily Mail was even callous and crass enough to label him the 'Senator of Sleaze' on the same day as his funeral. Classy. (Though I would like to point out, that given just how many people and things the Daily Mail hates, this could well be seen as a positive indictment on Ted's character!)

His detractors also frequently bring up the subject of Chappaquiddick, a tragic incident which led to the death of a young woman - Mary Jo Kopechne. The accusation generally runs along the lines that, after crashing their car into a tidal canal off Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts, an inebriated Kennedy swam free and left Ms. Kopechne to drown. TOSH!!

The reality of the entire incident is far more complicated than that. It is inherently linked to the assassinations of both his brothers, John in 1963 and Robert in 1968. I'm not going to go into any great depth here, which would take an eternity, and there are many far more concise sources than I. However, if you would like to know why I believe Ted Kennedy was innocent, I suggest you read 'The Kennedys: The Conspiracy to Destroy a Dynasty' by Matthew Smith. You don't have to agree with his conclusions, but I hope you'll agree he raises some very interesting (and consequently very disturbing) questions about the official version of what happened on that infamous night in July 1969.

0 comments:

Post a Comment