Friday 3 July 2009

Deuce!

I've been watching the Wimbledon tennis tournament for the last week and a bit, and I have to say, it's been one of the best championships of recent years. The weather's been great, with very little rain, and a lot of the matches have been real cliffhangers. There have even been a few surprise early exits for some of the higher ranked players, including Maria Sharapova who got knocked out in only the 2nd round.


Today I watched the Men's Semi-Final matches between Roger Federer and Tommy Haas, and Andy Roddick and Andy Murray. Roger Federer is my all time favourite player, so I was really relieved when he beat Haas and got through to the final. Roddick beat Murray in their match, so the bubble of hysteria surrounding Andy Murray - so called 'Murray Mania' - has finally burst. He did play very well though, so I'm sure he'll be back with a vengeance next year. I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to watching the Men's Final between Federer and Roddick on Sunday (though I will of course!), as I'm pretty sure it's going to be an epic, 5-set, fiercely-fought, nail-biter. They're both incredibly good players and seem very evenly matched, though Federer has won on both of their previous meetings in the Wimbledon Final. If Federer wins this time (and I'm praying he does) it'll be his 15th Grand Slam title, beating Pete Sampras' record of 14! I'll let you know whether I've knawed my fingers to the bone after the match...

PS. On a completely unrelated note, I've been making a mesh insect screen for my bedroom window, to keep the bugs out while letting the air in. My, what an exciting life I lead...

0 comments:

Post a Comment